Here you will find references and sources mentioned in the book’s footnotes, endnotes, and bibliography.
(all links open in a new window)
- The Human Voice: How this Extraordinary Instrument Reveals Essential Clues About Who We Are, by Anne Karpf
- MOMPEÁN-GONZÁLEZ, J. A.; MONROY-CASAS, R. Nuclear Tones in English: The Case of Household Consumer Products TV Commercials. ReVEL, v. 8, n. 15, 2010
- Full text of Obama’s speech to UK parliament, May 25, 2011
Invasion of the Valley Girl by Marielle Wakim and The unstoppable march of the upward inflection?, BBC
- PLANTRONICS H-SERIES HEADSETS
- “Teaching Simultaneous Interpretation,” LinkedIn Group
- Left and Right Ears Not Created Equal as Newborns Process Sound, UCLA/University of Arizona Scientists Discover by
- Can working in a call centre for 10 years cause my hearing loss? Hearing Aid Forums
- Maria José Fernandes Gimenes, Occupational Health, Medicine School Of University Of São Paulo And Medicine School Of Abc, São Paulo, Brazil. “Hearing loss in call center operators of an airline company in Brazil“
- Remote Simultaneous Interpreting: Options and Standards by Cyril Flerov, eVoice
- Decibel Chart, NetWell Noise Control
- Acoustic shock and hearing damage with call centre agents by Erik Bouwer
- Beyerdynamic DT 394 SIS headset designed specifically for simultaneous interpretation by Cyril Flerov
- Shadowing” – what, how, when, why? by Christopher Guichot de Fortis
- Musical performance and simultaneous interpretation: multitasking processes in musical accompaniment and simultaneous interpretation” by Magdalena Olivera Tovar-Espada
- Music and Language Syntax Interact in Broca’s Area: An fMRI Study.” PLOS ONE 10 (11): e0141069 or Broca’s Area processes both language and music at the same time
- Their Finest Hour by Winston Churchill
- (Link takes some time to open) Charlyn M. Laserna, Yi-Tai Seih, James W. Pennebaker “Um… Who Like Says You Know: Filler Word Use as a Function of Age, Gender, and Personality,” The Journal of Language and Social Psychology
- Michael S. A. Graziano, “Are We Really Conscious?”, The New York Times, 10 October 2014
- Why the Brain Doubts a Foreign Accent by Matthew S. McGlone and Barbara Breckinridge, Scientific American, September 21, 2010
- Brum accent does badly in poll, ITV News
- Do People Really Fear Public Speaking More Than Death? by Chad Schultz, TM Vision
- 12 Ways To Release Muscle Tension (on the spot) by Carole Bourne
- Ali Darwish “A Journalist’s Guide to Live Direct and Unbiased News Translation” , Writescope Publishers, 2010
- Prior listening in rooms improves speech intelligibility by Eugene Brandewie and Pavel Zahorika, J Acoust Soc Am. 2010 Jul; 128(1): 291–299
- Reverberation, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Mon Hommage to Chuchotage: what is its Secret? by Cyril Flerov
- Climate, vocal folds, and tonal languages: Connecting the physiological and geographic dots by Caleb Everett, Damián E. Blasi, and Seán G. Roberts, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the united States of America, vol. 112 no. 5, 1322–1327
- Frances Rauscher, Bob Krauss, Yihsiu Chen “Gesture, Speech, and Lexical Access: The Role of Lexical Movements in Speech Production” and Why do we move our hands when we talk I: Finding the right words: Gestures help you find the right words by Art Markman Ph.D., Psychology Today, Apr 07, 2009
- Using Visualization in Simultaneous Interpretation: Creating Order from “Chaos” by Cyril Flerov
Recommended Books and Print Publications
- Boston, Jane, and Rena Cook. Breath in Action: The Art of Breath in Vocal and Holistic Practice. London: Jessica Kingsley, 2009. Print.
- Carey, D. & R. Vocal Arts Workbook & DVD, UK: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, 2008. Print.
- Cruttenden Hughes, Alan, A. Trudgill, P. Watts, D. Pronunciation of English, 7th Revised Ed, 2005. Print
- Dayme, Meribeth Bunch. The Performer’s Voice: Realizing Your Vocal Potential. New York: W.W. Norton, 2005. Print.
- Gillies, Andrew, Conference Interpreting, Routledge 2013. Print
- Gillies, Andrew. Note-taking for Consecutive Interpreting: A Short Course. Manchester, UK: St. Jerome Pub., 2005. Print.
- Haydn-Rowles, J. & Sharpe, E. How to do Accents, London, Oberon Hodder, A. Gimson’s, 2008. Print.
- Houseman, Barbara. Finding Your Voice: A Step-by-step Guide for Actors. New York: Routledge, 2002. Print.
- Hughes, Arthur, Peter Trudgill, and Dominic Watt. English Accents & Dialects. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.
Jacobs, Michael Speak like an American
- Linklater, K. Freeing the Natural Voice Revised & Expanded, London, Nick Hern Books Ltd, 2006. Print
- Nolan, James. Interpretation: Techniques and Exercises. Buffalo: Multilingual Matters, 2005. Print.
- Rodenburg, Patsy. The Right to Speak: Working with the Voice. New York: Routledge, 1992. Print.
- Rodenburg, Patsy. The Need for Words: Voice and the Text. New York: Routledge, 1993. Print.
- Rodenburg Patsy and Dench, Judy. The Actor Speaks: Voice and the Performer (Paperback – Aug 17, 2002)
- Jones, Roderick. Conference Interpreting Explained. Manchester: St.Jerome, 1998. Print.
- Shewell, Christina. Voice Work: Art and Science in Changing Voices. Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom: Wiley, an Imprint of John Wiley & Sons, 2009. Print.
- Taylor-Bouladon, Valerie. Conference Interpreting: Principles and Practice. Hindmarsh, S. Aust.: Crawford House Pub., 2000. Print.
Please click the links below for more information:
- Amendments, New References, Corrections for the Book “Improving the Interpreter’s Voice”
- Book Quiz: “Improving the Interpreter’s Voice”
- Book’s Table of Contents
- Buy the Book “Improving the Interpreter’s Voice”
- Contact the Authors
- Leave your Review of “Improving the Interpreter’s Voice” and Read Other Reviews
- Links and Resources
- Internet Sites about Voice Training and Language Interpretation
- Voice Exercises from “Improving the Interpreter’s Voice” by Cyril Flerov and Michael Jacobs
- Voice Training Software
- Voice Training Videos and Links
- Links in Book’s Footnotes and Bibliography
- News and Events
- Voice Training Seminars for Interpreters
© Cyril Flerov/InterStar Translations and Michael Jacobs , 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Check out Our Social Profiles: